The American Kidney Fund (AKF) is pleased to invite applicants for its Clinical Scientist in Nephrology (CSN) Program for academic year 2020. The goal of the CSN Program is to improve the quality of care provided to patients with kidney diseases and to promote clinical research in nephrology.
This goal is achieved by enhancing the training and education of nephrologists who desire to pursue an academic career and whose primary professional commitment is to scholarship in the provision of patient care. Awardees conduct prevention and outcomes research and pursue advanced training in areas such as medical ethics, health services, health policy, biostatistics and epidemiology.
Successful candidates will identify an area of knowledge broadly applicable to Clinical Nephrology in which they will develop expertise and conduct research resulting in publication in a peer-reviewed journal. Such areas of study will be primarily in the non-biological sciences and will include disciplines in public health and preventive medicine, humanities, and in social and behavioral sciences. Examples are Bioethics, Health Services Research, Health Policy and Administration, Medical Decision Science, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Health Economics
Deadline: November 22 (Full)
Dollar Amount: $160,000 for up to two years
Eligibility: Acceptable candidates for the Clinical Scientist in Nephrology Program are individuals who:
- Have completed a residency in Internal Medicine or Pediatrics
- Are qualified to sit for the American Board of Internal Medicine or Pediatrics
- Are in the process of completing or have completed at least one year of training in Clinical Nephrology in an accredited U.S. program
- Can demonstrate an aptitude for and a commitment to developing special expertise in an area of knowledge applicable to Clinical Nephrology
- Intend to pursue a professional career with emphasis on the provision of care to patients with kidney diseases, preferably within the confines of an academic medical center where they will be exposed to continued learning and teaching
- Can secure the support of their training program in the pursuit of these goals