Determine if your project fits business goals for corporate entities
If you think corporate funding may be a good fit for your project or program, please review these detailed questions and contact the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations for assistance building your strategy.
Companies are interested in forming partnerships with universities and supporting academic and research initiatives that help them achieve their business objectives, recruit talent and develop their workforce, support their own R&D, increase brand awareness, and demonstrate corporate social responsibility.
Which of the following benefits can your project, program, or expertise offer a corporate partner/funder (please mark any that apply):
Inform corporate strategy and/or business operations
Fulfillment of R&D objectives/ Research access/ Product development
Marketing/ Branding / Product promotion
Fulfillment of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) / Community Giving and Engagement objectives
- Research funding
- Commercial research collaboration
- Philanthropic support for a program
- Philanthropic support for students or faculty (scholarships, fellowships)
- In-kind donation of products or services
- Internship opportunities for students
Thinking about question #1, which companies would benefit from your project or program?
Relationships are key in securing corporate funding; knowing someone who can introduce you to prospective funders increases the likelihood of a corporate partnership.
- Do you know of companies that have supported similar efforts?
- Do you have contacts who can introduce you to someone at a company who may be interested in your project?
- Do you have former colleagues, friends, or connections you’ve met at conferences who can provide an inroads for a conversation with your prospective corporate funder?
Interested in corporate research funding or commercial research collaboration?
- Please review the Funding Opportunities database for current corporate RFPs.
- Look at the websites of the companies you have listed above as potential prospects, to see if they have any open RFPs.
Interested in philanthropic support for a project/program or students/faculty?
- Look at the websites of the companies you have listed above as potential prospects to review their Corporate Social Responsibility pages or check if they have corporate foundations. Research whether your funding need aligns with their CSR objectives or corporate philanthropy guidelines.
Interested in sponsorship?
- Revew the Sponsorship Toolkit for tips and guidelines on securing sponsorship gifts for GW.
The GW Corporate Relations team will be happy to schedule a meeting to discuss your corporate engagement and solicitation strategy.
Please email us at [email protected] and a member of our team will follow up to schedule the meeting.